Thursday, December 22, 2005

Miracle

A child hears Christmas carols for the first time due to cochlear implants,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/23/nhear23.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/23/ixhome.html

This may seem bizarre but there are groups of people strongly opposed to the use of cochlear implants because they feel deafness is not a defect to be cured and are concerned what will happen to the deaf culture if there are no more deaf people.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/soundandfury/cochlear/debate7.html

I usually have an opinion on everything, but not in this instance. I can see where the deaf community might feel threatened and I will never understand what it's like to live in a deaf world. With that said, if one of my children was hearing impaired, God forbid, I would do everything in my power to make him or her "whole" as possible. I say that realizing the term "whole" might ruffle some feathers, if so I apologize.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While it is understandable that many question the rationality of failing to provide one with use of ALL senses the problem with cochlear implants is that often if the individual receiving them has hearing loss where sounds are not clear. With the implants sounds will be lounder but still unclear. Imagine low volume white noise - now imagine loud white noise - not really any better is it??