Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Happy Birthday J.S. Bach


Johann Sebastian Bach was born today March 21 in 1685. It's hard to overstate how great and important Bach and his music is to Western Civilisation, but I'll try. In my opinion he's the greatest and most important composer who ever lived. There that should do it.
Some find Bach too mathematical, too Apollonian. I can hear what they mean, but we have been on a Dionysistic bender since Elvis, maybe since Byron, so a little left brain activity can be bracing. Listen to Bach's Prelude and Fugue for keyboard No. 8 in E flat minor from The Well Tempered Clavier. Mathematical to a fault, but it's also short, sad and beautiful - a lot like life. If any piece of music ever justified a $30,000.00 audio system, Bach's Toccata And Fugue In D Minor is just the thing. My favorite is Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F major, don't let the name fool you it's a lot of fun. I think it's the most joyful piece of music I know.
Few things are as enriching as good literature and good music. I owe a debt of gratitude to whoever introduced me to the music of J.S. Bach.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The morosoph of the Veteran's Center returns.