Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Da Vinci Code


I liked this book better the first time I read it, back then it was called Foucault's Pendulum it was written by Umberto Ecco and was much, much better. If were lazy and mean spirited I'd say something like, "The Da Vinci Code is Foucault's Pendulum for poli sci majors", but I'm not, so I won't.
From a Roman Catholic perspective there are too many doctrinal and factual errors in this book to explore, so I will mention only the first one that jumped out at me. Brown's depiction of Silas the Albino Assassin's mortification as some bizarre ritual. Millions of people throughout the world practice this spiritual exercise in one form or another, few if any flail themselves to hamburger. Dag Hammarskjöld the Swedish Secretary General of the United Nations wore a hair shirt as means of mortification yet he was neither an albino nor was he an assassin, he wasn't even Roman Catholic. I suppose it is too much to ask that writers of popular fiction have a clue about the religious sensibilities of the people they purport to write about.
Read this book if you must, it's not a horrible read but I would recommend that you read Foucault's Pendulum first.

1 comment:

CultMan said...

Finally a "lay" person who gets the fact that this novel is not Bad, simply arrogant and wrong in it's pretensions. The read is not bad, but the propaganda is ridiculous. F's Pendulum is not exactly my cuppa', but I respect your opinion.