Monday, June 19, 2006

Lou Gehrig


Was born today, June 19, 1903 in New York. Without a doubt one of the top five players of all time, right up there with Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner and Ted Williams.
I know he's a Yankee, but people who knew him said he was a great guy and everyone could see that he was a tremendous ball player. It seems odd today considering his accomplishments that he isn't more famous, but then again he played in Ruth's shadow.

"Lets face it. I'm not a headline guy. I always knew that as long as I was following Babe to the plate I could have gone up there and stood on my head. No one would have noticed the difference. When the Babe was through swinging, whether he hit one or fanned, nobody paid any attention to the next hitter. They all were talking about what the Babe had done."
"You have to get knocked down to realize how people really feel about you. I've realized that more than ever lately. The other day, I was on my way to the car. It was hailing, the streets were slippery and I was having a tough time of it. I came to a corner and started to slip. But before I could fall, four people jumped out of nowhere
to help me. When I thanked them, they all said they knew about my illness and had been keeping an eye on me."
“There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all.”

No comments: