Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Former President Gerald R. Ford


Passed away at age 93 of an undisclosed illness.

Gerald Ford will probably be best remembered for pardoning Richard Nixon, which I guess is fair enough, but it should also be remembered that at a very dangerous and ugly time in our history, Gerald Ford was an able and calming leader in the Whitehouse.
I think Ford's alleged clumsiness was the first example of media bias I remember noticing, even though I was only 9 years old when he took office. It seemed to me that if you followed anyone around with a camera with the intention of making them look stupid you would have a pretty good chance of succeeding.
I liked Ford. He was a decent man who arrived in the oval office because the disgrace of two more conflicted and ambitious men. Once there he did all he could, sometimes at the expense of his own political career, to do what he thought was right for the country. We should all live lives as long and honorable as Gerald R. Ford.

No comments: