Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Gay Aussie Hotel Embraces Reverse Discrimination



A hotel in Australia has won the right to ban heterosexuals and lesbians by the Equal Opportunity Act Tribunal because those groups make gay men uncomfortable. Leaving aside the certainty that I'll never happen upon this place in a million years, this is unmitigated bullshit of the first order.
Read what the aptly named hotel owner, Tom Mcfeely, has to say:


"The hotel predominantly markets itself towards homosexual males, towards gay men and we want to protect the integrity of the venue as well as continue to make the men feel comfortable," McFeely said. "When large numbers of heterosexuals or even lesbians are in the hotel that changes the atmosphere and many gay men can feel uncomfortable." McFeely said his aim was not to ban all straight patrons and lesbians but to limit their numbers so gay men could freely express their sexuality. He said he expected a backlash from other patrons, but added: "I'm not worried about it because to be frank I don't really care what heterosexuals or lesbians think."My main motivation is to protect my gay male customers and I realise heterosexuals and lesbians may be upset, but I don't care about that."
Fair enough, but lets change a few things around and see how it sounds:

"The hotel predominantly markets itself towards heterosexual males, towards straight men and we want to protect the integrity of the venue as well as continue to make the men feel comfortable," McFeely said. "When large numbers of homosexuals or even lesbians are in the hotel that changes the atmosphere and many straight men can feel uncomfortable." McFeely said his aim was not to ban
all gay patrons and lesbians but to limit their numbers so straight men could freely express their sexuality. He said he expected a backlash from other patrons, but added: "I'm not worried about it because to be frank I don't really care what homosexuals or lesbians think. "My main motivation is to protect my straight male customers and I realise homosexuals and lesbians may be upset, but I don't care about that.”

Pretty intolerant isn't it. This guy would get kicked off any college campus with a scarlet "I" on his chest.
When an Equal Opportunity Act Tribunal allows discrimination - no matter how well intentioned - what the hell are they good for. Equal protection under the law is perhaps the finest ideal a modern person can aspire to and these yahoos toss it out the window so gay men can feel comfortable. Guess what Waylon? Dwarfs scare the hell out of me. Should I try to get them banned from my usual haunts so that I can feel comfortable? Tolerance is a two way street, but that's not enough for you - you want to be accepted, applauded, made to feel comfortable. I understand there are assholes who would bash you on sight but don't ignore principle for the chimerical pleasures of comfort.

No comments: