Monday, June 18, 2007

Car Shopping - Hyundai


I'm not necessarily in the market for a new car, but I like to keep abreast of what's out there and how much things costs. Hyundai has been making some very decent cars for several years now, so I went to their web site to what they have to offer. I won't bore you with all the details, but the long and the short of it, is that they make a SUV very similar in terms of price, performance and amenities to Honda, Toyota and Mazda. Great for Hyundai, right? Wrong. Hyundai may make a decent car, but if my choice is a $26,995 Hyundai or $27,690 Honda, assuming the Hyundai is competitive in all other considerations, I'll buy the Honda every time. Until the Hyundai nameplate is synonymous with quality and high resale value like Honda and Toyota, they'll need to bring something more to the table than a price tag $695 lower than Honda. Longer warranties don't cut it in my book either, because there is more fine print and wiggle room in a manufacturer's warranty than Bill a Clinton apology.

No comments: