Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Movie Review: Evan Almighty

We have kids, so I'm always looking for family films that we can watch as a family after my youngest child kept repeating "You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" after our last Scorsese film festival, which in hindsight may have been ill-advised. So anyway, if a movie looks like it might be unobjectionable and has some decent actors in it, we give it a shot. Since Morgan Freeman, John Goodman and Steve Carell were in Evan Almighty I ignored the poor reviews and let her rip. Big mistake. Even though I didn't pay a dime extra to see this crap fest, I want to demand my money and or time back from somebody, anybody. Unfunny - desperately so, cliched, preachy, predictable, lame and unfunny. I mention unfunny twice because there's a sequence where the usually droll Steve Carell is forced due to a lack of anything funny in the script to bang himself up in an vain attempt at humor, the result is deader than my sense of propriety.
One of my pet peeves in movies is the "dad works too much" meme. Not only is it cheap and easy and done to death, it's effing stupid. I'd much rather hang out with my family than work, but guess what? Groceries aren't free and neither are shitty movies unfortunately. It's particularly galling to be preached at by such a vacuous film. Miss it, even if it means sitting in the lav counting the paper towels for two hours on a cross country flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never saw this movie (or your other favorite one for that matter). However on the "dad works too much" subject keep in mind there is a fine (or maybe not so fine) line between providing the necessities for your family, and unchecked ambition that keeps dad away from home. Big difference. Just my 2 cents.