Thursday, October 20, 2005

Is this the best we can do

Most people probably couldn't care less about who replaces Sandra Day O'Connor, but I think GW Bush has really dropped the ball with Harriet Miers. Normally I tend to be supportive of the president but there is something, two things actually, that rub me the wrong way about this nomination. The first is that Miers can hardly be considered to be "the Best" candidate. In fact I never heard any of her supporters say anything of the sort. Usually they damn her with faint praise such as she's a good bowler or she never forgets to water her plants. And secondly nepotism is a fine tradition which I fully support when one needs to staff a Motor Vehicle Department or a hardware store, but this is the SCOTUS an institution of lifelong appointment and inestimable importance. It will be interesting to see what shakes out.

No comments: