Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I'm Spartacus!


Film director extraordinaire Stanley Kubrick was born today July 26, 1928 in the Bronx, he died March 7, 1999. You may remember him from such films as Spartacus, Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not a bad list of films at all. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite Kubrick film, they're all so different. Spartacus had Kirk Douglas sporting a Johnny Unitas flat top, Barry Lyndon has Ryan O'Neal in it yet it's still watchable, Dr. Strangelove Peter Sellers, Slim Pickens and a very young James Earl Jones. If pressed I'd have to go with Full Metal Jacket, if only for the line "Private Pyle, you are definitely born again hard! Hell, I may even allow you to serve as a rifleman in my beloved Corps!"

No comments: