Wednesday, July 12, 2006

New Books (To Me Anyway)


Last year I asked Dexter Librisvermis for some book recommendations and just like that, I ordered some of them last week. Elmore Leonard's The Hot Kid and Mr. Paradise and The Last Good Kiss by James Crumley. I also purchased Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels and The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurion , neither of which were specifically recommended by Dexter, but he's probably read them anyway.
I got The Killer Angels because my oldest son has been asking me questions about our Civil War and some people I respect have gushed about how great it is. The Wonder of Boys is not a NAMBLA pamphlet, rather it's about "how to shape our boys into exceptional men." I think there's a tendency in our society to discourage the very qualities in boys that will one day make them great.
During the last week of July and first week of August I'll be in the sunny Pacific Northwest on vacation, where I will read, sleep, fish, fish, and fish some more. I'll let you know what I think of the books and if I'm lucky I will have some fish stories as well.

No comments: