Monday, October 02, 2006

Samuel Johnson Was Wrong


Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Well not quite. Patriotism is the penultimate refuge, rehab is the last. Republican congressman Mark Foley has checked himself into rehab after revelations of sexually suggestive electronic messages sent to teenage congressional pages. I see, you were drunk and drinking is an illness and now you're in rehab so all will be better soon. Well, I've been drunk once or twice in my life and a few 3:00 a.m. drunken phone calls to ex-girlfriends not withstanding, I can honestly say I never felt the urge to hit on teenagers, unless of course I was a teenager myself at the time. I don't know what's worse, this loser and his antics, the possibility that GOP grandees knew and did nothing or John Kerry playing the scold. Kerry is one man you never have to worry about hitting on a teenager, because there are so few teenage billionaire widows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the rehab should be having his salad tossed at Pelican Bay.