Monday, October 02, 2006

Shootings in Lancaster County, PA

News reports of Amish children shot and killed, execution style, in their classroom cause me to wonder WTF? In Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Lady Eowyn said:
“It needs but one foe to breed a war, not two, Master Warden. And those who have not swords can still die upon them. Would you have the folk of Gondor gather you herbs only, when the Dark Lord gathers armies? And it is not always good to be healed in body. Nor is it always evil to die in battle, even in bitter pain. Were I permitted, in this dark hour I would choose the latter.”

These poor children, who did nothing to my human imagination to deserve this fate, died for what reason? Because some nut job nursed an arcane grudge for twenty years or so? That may well turn out to be the case, but despite my 21st century mind and apostate's slouch I can still recognize evil when I hear of it, and this my friends, is evil.

No comments: