Friday, December 15, 2006

1 800 JOE 4 OIL Redux

It seems odd to me that a relatively poor country like Venezuela should be giving aid to a relatively affluent country like the United States. I have travelled the world somewhat and I can honestly say I have never seen a more affluent nation than the United States. Sure we have poor people and a wide disparity between our richest and our poorest, but on average we live pretty damn well. I have never been to Venezuela but I wonder how the average Jose' lives down there. Supposedly in Venezuela the average annual income is $6,400.00. In Massachusetts you can get fuel assistance if you earn up to $40,000:
This year, LIHEAP will provide fuel assistance to low-income people with annual incomes up to 200% of the federal poverty level, or $40,000 for a family of four. Current benefits vary depending on income levels. Last year, DHCD served over 143,000 Massachusetts households through this program and expects more to be served this winter.

It looks like the Joe 4 Oil program is taking from the poor and giving to rich so what gives?

No comments: