Thursday, March 01, 2007

Blood Simple


Blood Simple was the first Coen brothers movie that I saw, in fact I think it's the first one they ever made and still one of their best. It's a film noir set in Texas:

The world is full o' complainers. An' the fact is, nothin' comes with a guarantee. Now I don't care if you're the pope of Rome, President of the United States or Man of the Year; somethin' can all go wrong. Now go on ahead, y'know, complain, tell your problems to your neighbor, ask for help, 'n watch him fly.
Now, in Russia, they got it mapped out so that everyone pulls for everyone else... that's the theory, anyway. But what I know about is Texas, an' down here... you're on your own.
A typical noir love triangle, a ruthless rich businessman - Dan Hedaya, his beautiful young wife - Frances McDormand and his employee - John Getz who loves her. M. Emmett Walsh, never better, plays the original VW driving P.I. hired by the husband to spy on his wife. I guarantee you will never forget his performance.
Not for everybody, but if like film noir and or the Coens this is a must see. Insist on this flick next time no one can decide on a movie and everyone will thank you.

No comments: